Saturday, January 11, 2014

One Little Word

Any of you hear of the One Little Word project?  You can read all about it here: http://aliedwards.com/shop/one-little-word-2014

It's an amazing idea: Choose a word for your year.  Then, do something with that word.  Make art.  Write.  Wear your word.  Share it.

I've done this project before, and found it a fun and helpful way to focus my resolutions for the year around one idea.  Here are my old posts about it:

http://scrap-therapy.blogspot.ca/2010/03/canvas.html
http://scrap-therapy.blogspot.ca/2010/01/word-of-year-enough.html
http://scrap-therapy.blogspot.ca/2010/03/enough-projects.html

Last year in 2013, my word chose me.  I didn't blog about it.  I just went through it.  Those of you who are close to me know about my struggles with certain relationships last year…and you can probably guess what 2013 was all about for me:

FORGIVE.  (posting pictures of my cute puppy Jolie Violet because I'm pretty sure no one forgives better than a dog!)




I'm obviously not going to go into unnecessary details on the world wide web…but what I WILL do is share about what I learned this last year.  Because, I'm a different person today as a result of these painful experiences.  God has allowed me just enough pain so that, by harnessing it's opportunity for growth, I could become a NEW person this year!


I LOVE THE PERSON I'VE BECOME, BECAUSE I FOUGHT TO BECOME HER. 
- KACI DIANE

Forgive.  The Bible is one of the most potent resources on this topic.  God actually goes so far as to say in Matthew 6:15, "If you don't forgive each other, I don't forgive you."  WOAH.  Back the truck up.  Salvation is dependent on me forgiving other people?  Sounds like that's what he's saying…After all, if we've humbly asked God's forgiveness recognizing that we're unworthy of heaven do to our imperfect nature, who are we to hold a grudge against another imperfect human?  It makes a lot of sense for me to realize that I'm no better than the people who have hurt me in my life…so I have no right to hold a grudge.


HE WHO ANGERS YOU CONTROLS YOU.

The other thing about forgiveness that the Bible has taught me loud and clear is that it's a one-sided activity.  Romans 12:18 says, "As far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."  I cannot make the other person like me, or talk with me, or work it out, or even forgiven me no matter how much I plead.  I cannot make RECONCILIATION happen, but I can be open to it.  I can let things go so that I am in a position of love, grace, and kindness toward people who have caused me great harm. 


LET NO MAN PULL YOU LOW ENOUGH TO HATE HIM. - MARTIN LUTHER KING

So…what exactly IS forgiveness?  I think there are a lot of misconceptions about what forgiveness is out there.  I know it's NOT unhealthy boundaries, being a punching bag, or chasing endlessly after someone who doesn't want you anymore.  I have come up with this definition: to let go of the right to hold someone accountable for perceived wrongs against me.  In other words, they don't owe me anything.  I'm going to put myself in a position where I won't get hurt anymore (to the best of my ability) and let that person be that person.  I'm not going to try to change the person, make them understand me, or give me an apology.  I've let it go…all on my own.  Why?  Because forgiveness is for ME!


ANGER IS AN ACID THAT CAN DO MORE HARM TO THE VESSEL IN WHICH IT IS STORED THAN TO ANYTHING ON WHICH IT IS POURED. - MARK TWAIN

For me, it's a continued practice of handing over thoughts to God.  Whenever my mind starts circling (over and over) about the things that have hurt me so deeply, I go to God and say, "You take this.  This isn't my project to fix - it's yours.  I trust you and I pray that I will have a heart of forgiveness.  Soften me and let no bitter root take hold."  


MAYBE ITS HARD TO FORGIVE, BUT TO TRUST AGAIN IS THE HARDEST.  

Forgiveness is a continual process…it doesn't happen like magic in one sitting (unfortunately!)  After many months of continuing to practice this…I'm excited to share with you my Word for 2014…in my next post!


IF YOU GET THE INSIDE RIGHT, THE OUTSIDE WILL FALL INTO PLACE. 
- ECKKART TOLLE


Thanks for listening…and feel free to share your thoughts about forgiveness :)

1 comment:

izitjo said...

Hi there! I found your blog on Pinterest and was drawn to your DVD case stamp storage as I've been getting my head around doing the same for the various companies I've collected stamps from. I know it's a busy time for you with the house purchase and all but I'm wondering if you could tell me how you created your inserts for the cases? Did you get the file already set up from somewhere or did you create it yourself? I've been trying to get my head around creating one for a few months and would find it so much easier if I could download one online. Unfortunately, the only ones i can find are for old Stampin Up wood sets that people have converted. Any tips or shortcuts you could suggest? By the way, I have enjoyed the time I've spent on your blog today and feel blessed to have discovered a paper crafter on the other side of the world who loves the Lord. God Bless in this next adventure as you pack and get settled in your new house!!! How exciting! Jo :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...