Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Just ASK

Sometimes I really struggle with asking God for what I need. Last night, David reminded me that Jesus says, "You do not have because you do not ask God." (James 4:2)

I was going back and forth. If I ask God and He doesn't give me what I *think* I need...what good is it? But, if I don't ask, I may miss out. Then, again, what if I just have too much doubt?

It was all resolved this morning by putting on my watch.

A silly thing that I do every single morning. I put on my cute purple watch (got it at Nordstrom's on sale - love it! Lavender, fossil, and rhinestones - does it get any better?). As I was looking down at my watch I remembered something that happened years ago.




See, when I was growing up, we really didn't have much money. Somehow, I knew this and knew better than to ask for things I wanted. I didn't need to add that stress to my parents. But, one day, I got really bold and I gathered the courage to tell my mom about something I really wanted: a Mickey Mouse watch that played "It's a Small World" and had a little globe on it.

Within a few weeks, my mom had hunted down that watch (I think she had to special order it) and she gave it to me.

I know without a doubt that my mom loves me. Not just becase she got me that watch, but just because I know she does. She showed it to me and got me what I wanted - just to see me smile. I never forgot that watch - it was a symbol of remembering to ASK. Just ASK.

Finally, I have asked God for what I need. In faith, I will keep asking. Hope you will too.

"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" (Matthew 7:9-11)

1 comment:

Canadian Kristin said...

Hmmm. Gonna reflect on this and see what it is I am not asking for...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...